In 2012, the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection requested a new sewage facilities plan (Act 537 Plan) for the Township of Cumru. This plan includes specific requirements for on-lot septic systems located in the Township of Cumru.
A new On-Lot Sewage Management Program has been established to help property owners meet the requirements of the new sewage facilities plan. Septic systems are now required to be pumped and inspected every three years. Berks Envirotech, Inc. is the sewage enforcement agency appointed to administrate this program.
Berks Envirotech, Inc. is responsible for the following:
- Track all on-lot systems within the Township of Cumru.
- Schedule all tanks to be pumped on a three year cycle.
- Mail pumping/inspection notifications to property owners.
- Coordinate pumping dates to allow for inspections as needed.
- Collect and file all pumping receipts.
- Prepare an annual report and submit to DEP.
- Provide information, education and assistance to property owners.
We have prepared a booklet titled "Property Owners' On-Lot Sewage Management Program Guidance". The booklet contains important information about on-lot sewage disposal and property owners' responsibilities. You may find the booklet in the SMP Downloads links or click the title above. You will most likely find the answers you are seeking in the booklet and the provided links. If you can't find what you are looking for or if you have any questions or need assistance, please feel free to call or email us and we will respond in a timely manner. All of our contact information can be found on the Bio/Contact Us page of this site.